With literally hundreds of different home builders in Australia it can be really difficult to choose one. A good builder can make the entire process stress free and even a pleasure. A bad builder could turn the entire home building process into a bottomless pit of money. Here are 12 questions to ask builders when going through your research and comparison process to help you choose the right builder for you.
- How many years have you been in business? How many homes have you built?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- What sort of warranty do you offer?
- Can you give me references from prior home buyers? Do you build model homes I can tour? If not, can you help me make an appointment to see a home you built for another customer?
- Do you build only from home plans you supply? Or can I provide my own set of plans?
- What standard features do your homes include? What options and upgrades can I select?
- Who will oversee the construction of my home? Who should I contact with any questions I may have?
- How and when can I make changes or upgrades before and during construction?
- How and when will the final price for my home be determined?
- How often will I have access to the home during the building process?
- How long will my home take to complete?
- What’s your process for inspection at key points of construction, at final walk-through, and to address any matters that need to be corrected or finalised?
Have you got any other must ask questions that you think should be added to the list? Post the questions below in the comments.